Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A. Duncan's Random Assignment

Morgan Smith

Journalistic Writing

336-001


As I sit in my Journalistic Writing class, on this Tuesday morning, my generous professor suggested that his students enjoy a random interview. Excited about this assignment, the class came together with two completely opposite and interesting questions. I quickly gathered my pen and paper, and went on my way to begin this interview. I first spotted Thomas Headley dragging his feet slowly towards Dunkle Hall. As I waited for him get a little closer to the building, I simply asked him would he be up to answering a few questions. Headley is junior at Frostburg State University, who is originally from West Virginia, and has decided to major in education. For my first question, I asked, “What do you think of the occupy Wall Street movement?” Headley replies, “I have no idea what that is, or what it is about.” It is quite rare to find a college student that is interested in topics about Wall Street, so this was not surprising at all. My next question was, “What are your chances of surviving a zombie attack?” Headley laughs and then responds, “Not good at all, because I am not sure what zombies are capable of.” I don’t think anyone is sure what zombies are capable of, or if they are even real, but the question itself was quite comical.

After thanking Headley for a few minutes of his time, I quickly began to scan the campus in search of my next interviewee. Also approaching Dunkle Hall was Corinne Somo, chemistry major, from Washington DC. Corinne was happy to share some of her time with me, in answering the same questions. I then stated again, “What do you think of the occupy Wall Street Movement?” She responded, “I feel like they can do something better than that. I’m not too familiar with the topic, I just heard a little bit about it on the news.” Again, I don’t feel as though many people are interested in this topic. I then asked, “What are your chances of surviving a zombie attack?” she laughed and then replied, “I think about 70%. I’m not really sure, but I hope I never have to fight off a zombie.” In a rush to get back to class, I quickly thanked Somo, and was on my way. This random interview assignment came at the spur of the moment, but was right on time to make class more interesting.

No comments: