Thursday, April 10, 2014

Students Comfortable in Frostburg State University


In light of a recent Pennsylvania stabbing and a recent house fire close to campus, physical safety could cause concern for Frostburg State University (FSU) students.

Taylor Whiteman, a sophomore mass communication major from Hagerstown, voiced her concern. She said, “Honestly, I’m a little more worried than I used to be, especially at night. I usually walk with my key between my fingers in dark areas.” Whiteman added that being a female makes her more prone to sexual assault.

Other students, like Chris Colwander are not as concerned. A sophomore mathematics major from Rockville, Colwander said, “I feel pretty safe. I mean, I’m a guy, so nobody’s going to attack me.”

Junior Becca Hiller, wildlife and fisheries major from Middletown, is also unconcerned. She stated, “I’m not too worried here. I feel safe.”

English major Shannon Brown, a senior from Pigtown, MD, said “I didn’t feel safe at first, but now I feel relatively safe.” Brown explained that she does not feel worried about sexual assaults “I’m not too concerned. I trust the people here.” She noted that race could play a role in the threats a student could face. Brown asserted that she’s more concerned with being attacked than being a victim of a fire, stating, “If there’s a house fire, I could be responsible for it.”

Despite recent events, safety is not a pressing concern for FSU students. Factors like sex and race could increase the risks a student could face, but most students seem comfortable in Frostburg. Students feel safe now, but safety could be a growing problem in coming years.

No comments: