Thursday, April 10, 2014

How Safe is Frostburg State University?


 
             In the past few years, there has been one stabbing as well as one shooting right off campus at Frostburg State University. In November of 2011, Kortneigh McCoy, 19, of Baltimore, was stabbed at an off campus party. McCoy was trying to break up a fight and was subsequently stabbed in the head; she later died at the hospital. The other murder around FSU’s campus was in April of 2010 when Brandon Carroll, a 20-year-old sophomore from Waldorf was shot and killed with a shotgun at a party. Besides these two murders, there have been 2 fires that resulted in the deaths of 3 people.          

            When asked how safe she felt on campus, FSU sophomore, elementary education major, Melody Kight said, “It’s conditional, on a scale of 1-10 I feel like I’m at an 8 most of the time.” The Hagerstown native then went on to say, “but at night time I am more cautious, I definitely don’t go down the arboretum trail after 9PM.”   When Senior Katie Staub was asked about her safety, the liberal arts major from Laurel, MD said, “When I’m on campus during the day I feel like I’m at a 9 on a scale of 1-10.”

David Patrick, a junior, accounting major on the men’s basketball team from Laurel, MD states, “On a scale of 1-10 I feel like I’m at an 8”. Safety is different between men and women on campus because women seem to be victims of sexual crimes. Katie Farr, a junior, field hockey player from Waldorf, MD says, “there’s a lot of creeps on campus…a few weeks ago there was the incident of the guy grabbing girls butts.” The french and international studies major went on to say, “I feel relatively safe on campus.” Safety seems to be conditional to most students though, at night there will be more crime, whereas you are less likely to be harmed during the day.

No comments: