Sunday, September 18, 2011

"The Wonders of the West-6th Annual Appalachian Festival" by Arrielle Smallwood-Evans Engl 336.002

Last weekend the 6th Annual Appalachian Festival held on Frostburg State’s campus in the Upper Quad really brought out the best of Frostburg. There were many wonders to explore including food, animals, jewelry, painting, and a multitude of other things. The people were by far the most interesting bunch I’ve ever met. They come from all different parts of Maryland and were eager to mingle with the students and faculty of Frostburg State University as well as interact with each other and connect on the one thing that united them as a people, that being the are of creation. Every artist, farmer, hunter, and sculpture made an impact on my life and educated me on what life is like in the good old mountains away from school books and parties.

On my first stop I met a woman named Rachel Kauffman of the “Sugar & Spice Bakery” located in Oakland, Maryland. Rachel and her business partners were at the festival to celebrate the 17th anniversary of their bakery. Every cake, pie, and cookie and homemade and they have a total of 7 employees and 2 employers. “I picked it up as a hobby around the age of 21, everyone else picked it up in their upper 30’s I presume.” Rachel states. She also states that she met a lot of interesting people on a personal level and that’s what makes her enjoy her job. Aside from baking her aunt weaves rugs and sews kitchen towels so there’s plenty of talent running in Rachel’s family.


An interesting man with a red colored beard and piercing blue eyes caught my attention at another table and I knew I had to talk to him. His name is Don Hismen and he owns a business with his wife Angie centered on handmade soaps, candles, and extracted honey from bees that Mr. Hismen keeps. He’s been extracting the honey from bees for 8 summers now and says the best time to extract the honey is in the fall. When asked if he is at all nervous when sometimes dealing with bee’s he states, “No, no I’m so used to this by now there like my friend and I know the stings will eventually heal. Using protective gear helps also.” He also goes on to explain that the lighter honey is what’s called basswood honey and the dark honey is just everything else. His wife Angie who’s various collections of soaps and candles immediately caught my eye states, “When I come up with a scent I think I would like I just order it up! The others just sit there.” This powerhouse couple visibly enjoys what they do and will be doing this for many years to come.





The most interesting person of the day was butterfly photographer George Small of “George Small Photography”. Beautiful isn’t even the word for this man’s work with butterflies. He takes many pictures from Baltimore all the way to Asia. His pictures ranged from those of the Humming bird moth whom he states “There so tiny that if you out your hand slowly above their wings you feel the air from their wings, there here in Maryland!” to the largest butterfly in the world called the Queen Alexandria. With a 12 inch wing expansion and turquoise colors running through her wings she was clearly the most beautiful butterfly anyone has ever lade eyes on. Looking at George as his face lit up talking about these butterflies made it so clear that this is a passion that would never fade. As long as butterflies are flying on this planet, Mr. Small will be there snapping shots of what he call “Such a creation that you know had to be created and weren’t just put here.”



The entire Appalachian Festival adventure was filled with many fascinations and beautiful sites that one would have to be there to see. Along with those mentioned I’ve met a great hunter names Dave. Though his riffle guns were a little scary I enjoyed rubbing my hand across the animal furs and leather made equipment he had. Avalon a jewelry maker was also a talented young woman that would out the top costume jewelers to shame. Everything from octopus tail necklaces to beaded rosaries and rose rings Avalon knew how to make. The Appalachian Festival is festival I’ve always enjoyed going to, but this time around was the best by far.





No comments: