Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Industrious Elaine Pressman

On Saturday evening, as the Appalachian Festival outdoor activities were coming to a close, there was still a table filled with different kinds of fabric and sewing materials. In fact, some piles of yarn and material threads were so big that materials occasionally rolled off of the table. She was willing to speak about her woven products, as well as various parts of her life. She started talking about the piece she crocheted, and continued with, “I do everything.” She said, “I make quilts, crochet, sew…”

“I’m 84 and I’m not making no more hook rugs. I have too many interests for my time. I teach some younger kids and grownups knitting. I’m making several Afghans. I crochet rugs out of scraps that I’m trying to get rid of.”

As one of the few people that appear to be content with a busy life, she mentioned:

“I do woodworking too. When you do stuff like I do you’re forever doing something. I’m not much of a TV watcher. If I sit down and I’m not doing something I’ll fall asleep. I’m from a family that did all this stuff. I worked for my dad for nine years as a carpenter. I built a house in Clarysville and my son lives in it now.  I grew my own plants and did most of my own stuff. I’ve done walk work and cement work and stone work.” Most people would be satisfied just being able to say that they worked their way through some minor home improvement. Elaine wasn’t satisfied until she built a house, grew her own garden and did her own masonry.


Elaine even talked about the enjoyment she has in hunting. She hunted more types of game in earlier years, but confessed that “I hunt deer mostly, now.” She killed a 10-point during one of her hunts. She doesn’t like to walk around in the woods, but prefers to, “get up in a tree stand.” She likes the shanty-like stands that are a few feet above the ground. She has spent several months hunting in Alaska. She anxiously mentioned how aggressive the bears in Alaska are, and how much more of a problem it is than is regularly mentioned in the media. “It’s surprising while you’re up there--the amount of people that’s killed by those bears.” “I wouldn’t go out there without carrying my pistol and my rifle,” she said, laughing. “I have a son and daughter and they know the dangers because I have taught them to hunt in the woods.”

Elaine spoke fondly of her son and daughter. Her daughter and son-in-law now live in California and own their own insurance business. Her son still lives in Clarysville, in the house that she constructed.
At the next Appalachian Festival, come by Elaine’s table. Look for the table piled-high with sewing and crocheting materials, with hand-made aprons and woven products for sale, and say, “hello.” Frostburg is fortunate to have such an interesting resident. Everyone should be as motivated and spirited as Elaine Pressman.

No comments: