Sunday, April 17, 2011

Students Raise Cancer Awareness


A casual "walk in the park" for some, a meaningful walk for life for others; Relay For Life organized by the American Cancer Society at Frostburg State University hosted a fundraising event in which multiple fraternities and sororities at FSU participated. As an individual who hasn't experienced the horrors that cancer can present, I looked forward to interviewing and interacting with the participants. Before this assignment I wasn't really sure what Relay For Life stood for, but after conducting research on this event I finally understand. Relay For Life is a life-changing event that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease. I decided to walk around to the various tents and ask people their thoughts and reasoning for supporting Relay For Life.

I spoke with Jairo Malino a senior here at Frostburg State University and a member of TKE. When asked why participate? Jairo said, "I've been participating in Relay now for four years, it's a good time here with my brothers, and I like to feel like I did my part. "My uncle survived cancer and every year we drink to celebrate."

Next, I interviewed Alex Shriver a University senior. I asked Alex why Relay For Life was important to her. Alex said "I like to be supportive and raise money for a good cause." Alex walked with her sister around the track for 3 of "the most important hours of the semester."

Lastly, I interviewed Shelby Conboy, a member of the Delta Zeta organization at Frostburg State. Shelby, spoke about her feeling good about raising money for Cancer and said, "Even though I am extremely pissed off that I have to be here at 3am, it's for a good cause so it's not that bad."

No comments: