Sunday, April 17, 2011

He Has A Heart of Gold

"I feel that every dollar I donate, someone is receiving the proper care, which my relatives did not get when they had cancer" Alex Changuris, a senior at Frostburg State University, has been donating and participating in Relay for Life for five years. Every year he doesn't regret nor going to Relay for Life. The most Alex had ever raised was $600 and in 2011 he won a reward for raising the most money in a ten-day period ($500). Alex raised a total of $2,000 dollars for Relay for Life, but he also participates in other events as well. He is also a partner for "Hope" for the St. Jude's Childrens Hospital, which he donates to them every year as well. "I enjoy being part of something bigger than who I am, and what I do and the money that I donate and have raised is being spent on someone who has cancer," say Alex. Alex's family was hit hard with cancer. His little cousin having brain cancer, three of his relatives having lung cancer, and his best friend's mother dying for breast cancer. Alex has a lot of motives for relay donating to Relay for Life and feels that his walks on the track are not in vein. He explains, "I feel that every step that I take, gives a minute or a second of care to a cancer patient who needs it." Even though this is his last semester at Frostburg State University, he plans on attending for Relay for Life whenever he can. Raising an outstanding amount of money for the cause is only the beginning for Alex Changuris.

No comments: