Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bright sparks support Relay for Life 2011

By Emma Sisk, ENGL 336.002 “It’s a one night stand you won’t regret,” explains Lap Nguyen, a biology major and chemistry minor at Frostburg State University. For the night of Relay for Life, Lap is calling himself “Miss Asian Persuasion”. He is raising money for cancer awareness by competing in a Drag Queen competition. “Not every guy wants to make a fool out of himself but this is for a good cause, to make a difference, and to honour those who passed away from cancer and those who are here today who survived”. The crowds are very pleased with this method of fundraising. Groups of people gather round to talk to Lap and his fellow contestants and take photographs with them. When the music is turned up by the registration area, Miss Asian Persuasion and her girlfriends move toward the music. Asked how she is feeling, Miss Asian Persuasion admits that her heels are causing her pain. “I’m a male size 11 but these are real small. I couldn’t find my own size”. Regardless Miss Asian Persuasion continues with the crowd and spends the rest of the night dancing with her friends.

Walking the grounds of Frostburg State University’s campus last Friday evening, it was impossible not to hear the laughter and cheer coming from direction of the Bobcat Stadium. Relay for Life was in full swing and despite a sudden change in weather, dull sky and strong winds did not affect this year’s turnout. While many came show support, many others spent the weeks leading up to Relay for Life raising money for cancer awareness.

Abigail Phelps and Adrienne Tracey, both senior elementary education majors at FSU, were two of over 800 people who came out to participate in this year’s Relay for Life. “This is our third year,” both admit. There is an excitement detectable in both girls tone of voice. “I’m so excited to be here. I’m ready to go,” Abigail says. Asked why she enjoys Relay for Life so much she responds, “There’s so many people here. People you don’t see all the time. It’s just a really nice social event”. Adrienne enjoys Relay for Life for a very different reason. “My grandmother had thyroid cancer and went through treatment so that just adds more meaning to it”. Together Abigail and Adrienne raised almost $700 between them and commented that this year was their most successful year. “I think I reached out more to my family. My dad’s family always help me because it’s really close to home,” says Abigail.

Jerica Bennett opened a kissing booth in a bid to raise money for Relay for Life. “One of my friends was doing it but he didn’t make any money so I started doing it and I already have over ten dollars! I’m having fun,” she exclaims. Clearly there is shortage of creativity around Frostburg State University when it comes to fundraising ideas for a great cause!

No comments: