Saturday, April 16, 2011

Brittney Burton: A Relayer's Take on Life

By: Logan Hubert

On a cold, windy night on the track, I found Brittney Burton, a Junior at Frostburg State University who majors in Psychology. The Cumberland native was relaying for the Residence Hall Association. "I do relay because two of my Aunt's are survivors of cancer and I think it's a great cause to support" she said. She also said that she loves relay for life, but two main parts especially. "I love to see everyone in Frostburg come together as a community and I also like dancing around the track."

Since it was her second year attending the event, she knew that she was going to have a good time and raise a lot of money. There were a couple booths in particular she liked the most she said. "I enjoyed the funnel cake booth and the Honor Society's raffle the most even though I liked all of them this year." Brittney won a $50.00 gift certificate to Independent Inc. after donating ten dollars to that one raffle in particular. "I really wanted that gift certificate and since all of the money was going to the American Cancer Society, I wouldn't be upset if I didn't win," she said.

The Junior also shared with me her favorite movie and band. "My favorite movie is Diary of a Wimpy Kid and my favorite band at the moment is Panic! At The Disco," she said. "My favorites can change from week to week depending on my mood and how I am feeling." Tying into her major at Frostburg, she said that she really likes Diary of a Wimpy Kid because "it's a good portrayal of what every adolescence goes through in their transition from elementary school to middle school, like worrying about what others think of them and beginning to notice the opposite sex." She also stated that they are nice family films. "You can watch them wiwth parents or children and not have to censor anything." She also said that she liked them because they remind her of her younger brothers.

Right before Brittney left, I asked her if there was anything she would change about Relay for Life. She said, "I wouldn't change anything about relay itself, but I would make a rain date considering the weather wasn't that great." Other than that, she can't wait for next year's Relay For Life, and neither can I!

No comments: