Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Opinionated or Just Apathetic?


It would seem that two out of every three students in Frostburg just don’t care much about the race that’s going to determine who the country’s next leader is. Kyle Hughes, a junior, said, “Mitt Romney is a really boring old white dude and Barack Obama is a cool, hip black dude but I think both of them suck.”

When asked why he thought both of them suck, Kyle replied, “There seems to be a disconnect between me and them. I’m an independent, so in the end, I don’t really care. I was gonna vote for Roseanne Barr, actually.”

Another student, Ryan Diehl, put his thoughts into this as well. “I don’t think either one is going to be that great. I don’t think they’re going to help any.” When prompted with the question, “Did you vote today?” Ryan answered, “No, I didn’t vote today. It’s a personal choice. Things are in deadlock, and no matter who you put into office, things aren’t going to get done.”

At least most of the students at Frostburg don’t say, “I just don’t care.” It’s true, it’s a tough choice to make, and everyone’s vote counts. John Sikalis, a senior at Frostburg State, says, “No matter which candidate we get, it’s gonna be a hard job. I just don’t think Romney’s right for it.”

When asked the question, “What do you think about all the mudslinging and trash talking?” John replied, “Trash talking is necessary so we know what’s good and what’s bad. Otherwise we wouldn’t know anything because each candidate keeps what he thinks looks bad to himself. I really don’t care enough because there’s nothing Obama has done that affects me directly; I still go to college the same way, and yeah, maybe there’s a little less financial aid, but still.”

Well, there you have it. At least two out of three students at Frostburg State University are on the fence about the election. Either way, it all ends today.

No comments: