Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hurricane Sandy: Big Hype, Underwhelming Outcome


As Hurricane Sandy approached Frostburg, there were many hopeful students (and probably quite a few hopeful teachers) when thinking about possible class cancellations. While Hurricane Sandy was not projected to be as detrimental to the population’s safety as was Hurricane Katrina, this was the first time that many students were away from home during a huge storm.  As the closed colleges scrolled on top of the news screen the night before Sandy hit, many eyes were fixated on the screen in anticipation. When students finally got the email of what seemed to be a late decision, Frostburg went wild. Halloween parties proceeded to commence, many students decided to take a chance and go home for the week, and some were too scared to leave their apartment complexes in light of thoughts of Hurricane Katrina.
 I interviewed two students living in my apartment complex to see what their plans were for the stormy week ahead. Jacob Roberts, a tenant of Welsh Hill Commons, says “It’s just really cool that we’re out of classes and probably will be for most of the week. I had a few tests this week that got pushed to next week which gives me more time to procrastinate.” In reference to the possibility of snow, Jacob stated, “I’ll probably build a snowman with my girlfriend. Girlfriends love building snowmen.” Another student that currently resides in the Evergreen Apartments, Leanna Atkins, was nervous about the storm and not being able to drive to where she works in Garrett County. “I’m just worried that I won’t get paid. I just spent all of my money on an iPad and I have bills to pay. My roommate says I shouldn’t have wasted my money on an iPad so I could have groceries for Sandy, but at least I’ll be entertained even though I might starve.”  Commenting on school work being delayed Leanna proclaimed that she “probably won’t work on schoolwork in [her] downtime…it’s not downtime if you are doing schoolwork.”
There were many different reactions coming from Frostburg after Sandy had made her way through the small town. Some, including Jacob and Leanna, were disappointed by the short term effects that Hurricane had to offer. They both shared the same opinion that Sandy was fun while it lasted but it did not last long enough. Frostburg students have gone through much more difficult weather to get to classes compared to Hurricane Sandy. But, as far as anyone knows, no one was complaining. 

No comments: