Thursday, March 3, 2011

What do the students of today regard as being their most prized posession?

On Thursday March 3rd 2011 I visited the Frostburg State University campus in hopes of speaking with some of the students during the busy lunch time. I chose The Lane Center as my target destination to find out just what exactly it is that students today determine as their 'most prized possession' and why.

The first candidate that I spoke to was Junior International studies Major Kaitlynn Sumptor. A native of Rohrersville Maryland, Kaitlynn made no hesitation in stating that it is in fact her dog who she values as being her most prized possession. Her dog is a big part of her life and when asked why? she stated that "I just love her to bits, she means the world to me".

Next up in the hectic lane center was Business Major Brad Zimmerman, an RA at Cambridge Hall here on campus, an impressive title for this Junior year student. Although Brad reckoned that the question was in fact "A tricky one" he came to the decision that it is his girlfriend Kate that he values as being his most prized possession. "She keeps my head on straight" is one of the main reasons why Brad feels Kate is the most valued possession he has in his life.

Rachel Skipper a sophomore student from Oakland Maryland was only too happy to share with me the story behind her most prized possession. Rachel's mother who has sadly passed away is much loved and missed the psychology student. It is for that reason that Rachel put together what she calls her 'Mom-Box'. This box is full of memories of Rachel's childhood with her mother. It contains pictures of her with her mom and brother along with other sentimental items such as letters her mother sent to her while she was at camp and other bits of memorabilia. Rachel stated that the box meant a lot to her and said it "holds a strong place in my heart".

In these modern, technological times I had expected to find that students valued accesories such as the latest I-phones, cars or their laptops. Instead I discovered that all sentiment and appreciation of what really matters in life has not in fact been lost. The students of today are not just driven by the latest advancements in technology as many stereoptypes might lead us to assume but they do in fact hold on to and cherish the things their lives that have true meaning to them. The students at Frostburg State University helped me to realise this today.


No comments: