Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vast array of morning rituals at Frostburg State University

It's about 2:00pm in the afternoon at Frostburg State University, and everyone seems to be stunned when asked the question, "What's your morning ritual?", when it has only been a couple of hours for some since they rolled out of bed.

Zach Burkhardt, a freshman from Baltimore, had a fairly simple response. "I don't really have one. I wake up, shut the alarm off, and walk as fast as possible to get to class." Perhaps this secondary education major will pick up the pace when he gets further into his studies, but as for now, he seems pretty content with his morning routine. "Oh, and I always bring a drink to class. I'll never forget that," he laughed.

Micayla Bowman is a senior from Skysville, Maryland who is double majoring in Biology and Chemistry. Her morning routine consists of the usual: hitting the snooze button, waking up at the last possible second, going to the bathroom, washing the face, and brushing the teeth. "I like to get out of the room at the last possible second. It takes about 7 minutes to get to class every morning, so I've got it down, " claims Micayla as she slams her hand on the table. However Micayla always finds the time to check her phone every morning. "Every night I put my phone on vibrate. I get really annoyed when a text or call comes in around 7 in the morning, but I refuse to put it on silent," she laughs.

Aubrey Horton, a junior from Frederick, Maryland, is an Early Childhood/Elementary Education major. Aside from waking up and turning off the alarm clock, Aubrey always finds the time to do something very special. "I call my mommy every morning to tell her that I love her and that I hope she has a great day," she smiles. After talking to her mother, she turns on the computer, runs to the bathroom, and by the time she gets back Facebook is up and running on the screen. " I always check my Facebook in the morning. It's my homepage so it just pops right up," claims Aubrey. Finally after all this running around in the morning, Aubrey gets dressed and eats breakfast before class. "I always eat breakfast or else I will be chewing my arm off in class," laughs Aubrey.

After hearing these responses you may feel comforted that you aren't the only who can't start the day without checking facebook first. Maybe you feel inspired to call that special someone and wish them a good start to the day. Or maybe you are content with just rolling out of bed and rushing to class. The thing is, we all have different ways of starting our days and have certain rituals that we can't do without. The question is, do you do anything out of the ordinary for your morning ritual?

No comments: