Thursday, March 31, 2011

Frostburg students say how they save on gasoline, and save on cash.

Gasoline prices and the going green movement are on the rise, so how do Frostburg students save on cash and save the environment? Joy Riddell, an ethnobotany major and sophomore of FSU from Old Town Maryland says, " I hobo."

Joy explains that she walks almost everywhere she needs to be, uses the bus if necessary and also, " I couch hop, I sleep on friends couches for the week" Joy doesn't have a license, but her resolve to keep the environment healthy and clean has her saying that even if she did have her own car she, " will still do the same thing". Joy Riddell explained that a lot of her friends do the same thing, and all the ethnobotany students were really cool. When asked why she chose to "hobo" Joy said, " Its efficient, doesn't harm the environment, and my carbon foot print is teeny tiny."

Micheal "Squiggles" Lewonick a junior and information and technology major from Lusby, MD said that he doesn't have a car up in Frostburg, but he does at home. Micheal said that to save on gas and help be Eco-friendly, he tries not to drive so much while he is at home. " I don't know," He said," just try to get were you need to go as quickly as possible. Don't take long routes. If you need to buy things, try to stop at one place."

Kenny Doh, from Perry Hall MD, a freshman and undeclared major uses technology in his car to try to keep the use of gasoline down. " Whenever I'm driving on the highway I use cruise control. My car can automatically turn off a few cylinders depending on the situation." When asked the major factor for his decision to bring down the gasoline usage Kenny simply said, " Money".

Some students say they don't have a choice in the matter. Cheyenne Snyder, a bio chem major in her sophomore year from Cumberland says, " I've put more in it in the past couple of weeks then I ever have...I commute too, its a lot of back and forth." Cheyenne added," I would love too, but its just not a choice for me right now because I commute twenty minutes every day.

No comments: