Sunday, September 16, 2012

Unusual Fireworks in an Unusual Town

                After discussing the Frostburg Bicentennial celebration with students, friends, and coworkers, I realized that the Bicentennial was one of the most exciting weekends Frostburg has ever had. I attended a few different events throughout the weekend. However I found the fireworks display more interesting than the other events I attended. The fireworks display had several different types of fireworks that I have never witnessed before. It was definitely an event that I will never forget.
                Connie Larsen, a fifty-six year old Frostburg native, stated “Frostburg’s firework display this evening will be a huge deal to the community, because fireworks are not permitted any other time in the city limits.” Because I have never lived in Frostburg during the fourth of July I never realized that fireworks are permitted within the city limits, after hearing Connie’s statement I realized that the fireworks show could be a once in a life time event. Furthermore I decided it would be a great event to attend.
                Chuck Dicken, who is the station manager for 91.9 WFWM Frostburg’s Public Radio Station, discussed with me that WFWM will be playing “Fireworks Music” during the time allotted for the fireworks. This made my decision to attend the fireworks show even more definite.
As the time approached nine-fifty pm., I made my way down to the upper quad on the Frostburg State University campus. I brought a blanket, a radio, and a drink to accompany me while I watched the show. Not knowing what to expect when I reached the upper quad, I was stunned to see only one other person on the upper quad. As the cold air chilled me, I laid out my blanket and decided to discuss some things with the other person before I got comfortable. Turns out the other person seated near me was a forty-nine year old Frostburg native who had never seen fireworks before. Eric Keyser, a Beall High School graduate discussed with me that he came back to Frostburg for the weekend, just to celebrate this once in a lifetime Bicentennial event. Keyser, now a resident of Baltimore, Maryland, stated “I have a connection to Frostburg that I have not been able to find anywhere else. In all of the places that I have lived, Frostburg has been the one and only place that keeps bringing me back home.”
This is when I realized Frostburg’s Bicentennial event is more than just a fireworks show, more than just a birthday celebration, but a reason for Frostburg natives and residents to come together and celebrate their “home”.
I thoroughly enjoyed how the town of Frostburg created events to get students more involved in the celebration. Choosing to have the celebration during the annual Appalachian Festival was a great decision by the town of Frostburg, it brought more student involvement into the town, and after being part of the celebration I feel closer to home in Frostburg, and then I have ever felt here before.
The fireworks display was amazing and had a great variety of different types of fireworks that I have never seen before. The grand finale was the best part of the display, as it usually is. If you never had a chance to check out the Fireworks display, below are some pictures from the event.

No comments: