Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Frostburg's Bicentennial

Frostburg State University’s 2012 Appalachian Festival


By Andre Arthur




I attended the Appalachian Festival here at Frostburg State University this past weekend. I like many other students seemed to really enjoy the activities, performances, and the event in general. The event I enjoyed the most was put together by “Caspering Kids 4-H Goat Club”. The event caught my attention because it is rare to be able interact with an animal that is not considered a domesticated animal.


According to the Appalachian Festival’s program guide, “Caspering Kids 4-H Goat Club” is “one of the largest youth development programs in the United States. Its mission combines fun with education”. From what I observed everyone from toddlers to professors here seemed to enjoy the animals.


Children were able to paint goat-shaped silhouettes. Onlookers were also able to view goat milking demonstrations, an interesting process in its self. The only complaint that I and others seem to make was that we were unable to feed the goats. We were told we could not feed the goats. “Caspering Kids 4-H Goat Club” told us we could not feed the goats because they did not bring goat food with them.


A good friend of mine and senior at Frostburg State University Iven Bailey described the goat club’s activity as, “The best event at the festival. Animals always make people come together”. I strongly agree with him. We found ourselves conversing with several students there, many of whom we have never seen before and just met.


Another friend of mine Jocelynn Townes enjoyed the presence of the goats for the most part. This ended when she says her Frostburg I.D. was eaten by one of the goats. While asking her questions for the assignment she says, “I do not want to think about goats until I get a new I.D.” Caitlin Moore stated that, “I wanted to take one of them with me”.


All in all there were several wonderful activities that were worth taking the time and going to see. My favorite was this one. A company doing something to promote a good cause mixed with my love for animals made me not want to leave.

No comments: