Monday, September 17, 2012

"The Proud Volunteer" - Coverage of the Appalachian Festival


The Proud Volunteer
By: Rachel Smith ENG 336

As the Appalachian festival came to a close on Saturday, Chenoa Zais, a hardworking volunteer for the festival, began to wrap up at the craft station. She looked rather disappointed that the activities were ending. “I had so much fun working at the craft station,” Chenoa gushed with a huge smile on her face.  “I met so many people and I think that this event was a huge success.”  This isn’t the first time Chenoa has volunteered for an out of school activity; last year she participated in a Christmas festival at City Place.  She’s just one to give. Chenoa was so taken by the festivities that she is already contemplating volunteering next year.  “This is an experience that I would definitely like to partake in again, if the opportunity arises!”
Chenoa is used to helping people, as an aspiring 6th grade math teacher, one of her biggest wishes is to educate the young people.  “I really love math,” she started, continuing to clean up the remainder of the craft station.  “It’s just a really fun subject, but I find that many young kids struggle with it.”  Chenoa appeared sad briefly.  “I think every child should be given the chance to see the beauty of math, because if they do, they’ll find that it is more of a beautiful hobby, and less of a burden.”

Chenoa pointed to a tent nearby, where one of the jewelry stations was held.  “My great aunt also took part in the festivities.  Anytime I had a break, I went there to look at all the cool things they had!”  Chenoa then went on to explain how her Great Aunt and her aunt’s husband were proud sharers of their handmade items and jewelry, and how proud they were to participate in the festival.  “I’ve seen my aunt’s collections, and they are so beautiful,” Chenoa stated proudly, “I was so happy that they got a chance to show them to everybody else.”

Aside from working at the craft station, Chenoa also helped wherever she was needed, without any questions asked.  “I came to this activity knowing that I would have to work my butt off,” Chenoa said, laughing. “So I prepared myself for a long Saturday.”  Chenoa then went on to talk about the other activities she chipped in on, including passing out popcorn and assisting the tap dancers at the cultural dancing booth. “It was hard not to get distracted at the cultural dancing booth,” Chenoa admitted, smiling.  “I just love music and dancing, I was so enthralled with that part of the festival, I would try and peep in any chance I got.”

As Chenoa wrapped up the last of the cleaning at the craft station, she reminisced about how she used to enjoy these types of activities as a child.  “You know, being here really reminds me of my childhood.  Seeing the animals and all the dancing takes me back to when my mom used to take me to the circus and let me ride all the fun coasters and see the funny clowns!”  Chenoa smiled widely at the thought then admitted she can’t wait for the next event.  “You bet I’ll be back whenever something else like this happens again,” She said.  “There’s nothing better than giving a helping hand!”

No comments: