Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nathaniel Moore :Mass com major, journalist, adventure writer.


By Gretchen Settle

Nathaniel "Nate" Moore is a 20 year old Mass Com major at Frostburg University, originally he wanted to pursue a psychology major, but found that he preferred a track in Mass Communications with a minor in Journalism. When asked about his dream job he said, “…hopefully I can be someone’s publisher, and I can also do PR”. Nate said that he could do things like “press releases for large events”. We laughed as I cracked a bad joke about networking since our dream jobs correlated to each other. Talking further, I found that his interests in publishing and journalism are founded in the love of writing.

Nate talked about how another big dream of his would be to publish a book that people would enjoy. We talked about what makes a good book, and he talked about how he enjoyed reading Harry Potter as a kid. “I used to read a lot” he said, he went on to say that he didn’t read as much because of school but he’d like too. Nate enjoys action and adventure books, “anything non-fiction”. I asked him what made him want to write and he responded, “I had a teacher really good at their job, kinda proved it to me I really need to get published one day”.

Nate lives with his mother and his younger sister, his older sister having moved out. He said that they were, “close” but like all families though, they had their moments. I asked Nathaniel if he gets along with his siblings better now that he’s older, or if they still argue. He said that they don’t argue so much anymore, I asked him how come and he said, “We used to fight all the time, now it’s completely different, I stopped being annoying. I stopped telling on her. I stopped picking fights.”

Nate plans to move off campus next semester he said, “I like it but it’s really far from everything and that sucks”. He’s excited because he’ll be living with his two best friends. He has a job as news writing on our schools paper The Bottom Line and hopes that he can eventually write for the music section. He loves almost all kinds of music, but has an affinity for No Doubt and Lady Gaga. When asked about Gaga, he stated that,” She’s really bold, and I like that”.

1 comment:

Andy Duncan said...

Gretchen, you use first person throughout, though the assignment says not to. You include four comma splices and one run-on sentence; as you know, this suggests you don't know where your sentences begin and end, which is a problem. You provide no link. You misspell a few words, including the abbreviation of Nate's major.