Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Good Cook Loves Reading By Xinpei Yu, ENGL 336. 001

Tavarsha Timmons, a Baltimore girl, is now on her third year in the Frostburg State University as English major transferred from Biology. It is the birth of her first little brother that aspire her tendency of delivering babies. “It was so interesting and moving to see a baby born,” she said. “So I wanted to get a doctor’s degree.” However, after one year’s struggling through her classes and saw few good results, she made up her mind to study English literature instead. “I love reading. Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre is my favorite,” she said. “And I’m doing well on all my courses now.” She studies very hard. ”I spend 20-40 hours a week,” she told me, pointing at one of her thick reading materials. “As an English major you know, a lot to read.”
In addition to her large amount of reading, her reading speed amazes her friends all the time. “I can finish the whole harry potter series within a week recently.” She said, smiling pleasantly. During the free time, she always watches dramas on TV and movies for entertainment. She is fond of little prince (1993 version) and Moulin rouge so much that even her DVD couldn’t bear the too-much-time play and went on a “strike” then.
As an assistant in the music department for 3 year, she enjoys the job very much, even for some simple work like sticking posters and picking phone calls. “Because I can meet people who love what they are doing and I can have the chance to see concerts free most of the time and the wonderful Christmas dinner.” She said, laughing as a kid, “I also buy the 10-dollar-a-year Friends of Music, which is really cool for a music fan like me.” She is fond of all types of music, but Korean Wonder Girls and Girls’ Generation are the best to her.
Her favor for the music starts from 13 years ago when she began to play the flute with a lady in her church. “My preacher bought me the first flute, because we were too poor to buy one ourselves.” She said gracefully. “I also want to learn piano now.”
Like her Italian grandmother, who taught her cooking pastas at her young age, she is a good cook too. She learned to cook various kinds of chicken all by herself and cooks a lot at dorm for her friends and roommates. “If you go to my Facebook, you’ll find all the pictures I took of my work.” She said, proudly, laughing again.

1 comment:

Linda Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.