Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October Event Coverage


On Saturday October 27, 2012 Frostburg State University hosted a unique Halloween party called Late @ Lane. The party was inside the Lane Center and it occupied both floors. Inside the conference room on the top floor is where the haunted house was held. Downstairs in the Armah was where the party and costume contest was located. It was very surprising to see how many students still celebrate Halloween from the ages of nineteen to twenty-one. A lot of people either have good school spirit or are still big kids at heart to participate in the costume aspect of the holiday. While lounging up stairs by the table where free Pepsi samples were distributed I shared words with some interesting people. I met a gentleman named Robert Mathis who was dressed in a Mermaid Man costume. Mermaid Man is a superhero character that makes appearances on SpongeBob Squarepants. His costume was homemade which made his costume even more unique because it was like an exact replica of the cartoon version. When asked why he chose to be Mermaid Man for Halloween he replied, “It was just so original that I had to show people how Halloween is supposed to look”. The entire building was filled with witches, nurses, maids, officers, etc., and it seems like everyone enjoyed themselves.
            I went downstairs to see what the party was like and the Dj was playing some good music and everyone was dancing. Next door to the party room was a buffet room that served macaroni & cheese, chili, chicken pot pie, and sample portions of pumpkin pie. Surprisingly the food was very tasteful unlike your typical school lunch. I was enjoying myself so much that I almost forgot I was on my journalist duty; a true example of business and pleasure. I also had a small talk with a girl named Breanna Lewis who was disguised in a SWAT uniform. This particular SWAT costume was so sexy and appealing that she would have been easily mistaken for a Janet Jackson costume. When asked why she chose this costume of choice she replied, “I chose a SWAT officer because I always been an action junky in my imagination”, this illustrates that this gives her an opportunity to pretend to be action packed for a day. She said that she and her friends have been anticipating this day all month because they love to have a reason to dress up. Frostburg event planners even put a basketball shooting cage downstairs outside of the pool hall and I thought that was pretty neat considering the fact that had no significance to the Halloween theme. The last person I interviewed was Malik Thomas who costume was unoriginal but very classic. He was the notorious horror film slasher Jason; he was equipped with the navy jumpsuit, hockey mask, and novelty machete. He was tall with a strong build to him just like Jason from the movie. When I interviewed him on why he chose to be Jason he replied, “Friday the 13th is one of my favorite horror movies and I want to scare everybody in the Lane Center”. This event was a big success and it gave the students something positive to do.

No comments: