Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Last Tuesday Night We Learned about Last Friday Night!!


On Tuesday, March 27, 2012 the members in training of Sigma Alpha Iota (SAI) was presented to the world at their M.I.T Recital. The members in training (MITs) Samantha Flowers, Amanda Gold, Sierra Green, Marti Jenkins, Bailey Kerr, Katrina Smullen, and Shelley Wright each presented their musical talents one by one on the stage. Accompanied by the current member of the Fraternity the girls put on quite a show.
The show was kicked off with Bailey Kerr, Sophomore Music Performance Major, singing and playing on the piano Folding Chair by Regina Spektor. When asked why she choose this particular song, she responded “I choose this song because I could play it on the piano and also because Regina Spektor is one of my favorite artist.” The next song was Turning Tables by Adele, song by Mikayla Young, Junior Music Education Major, a dedication to a friend she had lost whose birthday was the same day. She also chose this song because she “just loves Adele.” The next musical selection was a clarinet piece by Debussy played by Amanda Gold, Junior Music Performance Major, she choose the “beautiful piece”  Syrinx and did not give Debussy a bad name with her performance; rendering the . The next selection was played by Senior Music Major, Heather Buchanan. Heather took to the stage one last time with her trombone, and played Il Mio Bel Foco by Benedetto Marcello. After Heather walked off stage Freshman Shelly Wright took to the stage with a piano and a microphone and sung One Republics Come Home. Shelly said “I choose this song because to me it has the message that I have finally found home. Like I’m coming home to where I am now. Plus its one of my favorite songs.” Seniors Jessica Knouse and Samantha Flowers choose a song that suited their voices well and they made the crowd laugh with their wacky dance moves. Freshman Sierra Green ended the first half of the recital with a classic chart hitting song by Sara Bareilles entitled Gravity. When asked why she choose this song she quickly bragged “I like the way my voice sounded and no up here knew I could sang and I wanted to show off.” And show off is exactly what she did when she belted the words of the song hitting every note and pitch correctly.
At halftime I took to the audience and the members of SAI and asked how they felt about the concert and the members in training so far. I started with asking Junior Music Education Major, Jasmine Chung, what she thought about the members in training. One by one she described each member in one word. “Sam loves to dance, Amanda brings musicianship, Sierra my little brings togetherness, Marti brings spunk, Bailey brings corny jokes, Katrina brings brains, and Shelley brings goofiness.” She then went on to say how “hard it is to just use one word when they are all such wonderful girls.” I next hit the audience for their take on the show. A lot of students all said that the show was really good and they couldn’t wait to hear the rest.
The lights went down and then they came back up and the beat of Katy Perry’s latest hit started the crowd heads rocking. The MIT’s then all rushed to the stage and begin to sang there self made Members in training song. The song which was quick, quirky, and corny described each sister in the fraternity and also the MITs themselves. So that the audience all learned on Tuesday night what happened last Friday Night.

No comments: