Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Star Struck


Rachel Smith: Star Struck

 

By Autumn Vanous, ENGL 336.002

 
Rachel Smith has stars in her eyes and New York City on her mind. This 19 year old sophomore at Frostburg State University has big plans. She is going to change the way journalist are perceived. She wants to show people how journalist can be friendly and approachable. “It’s not all doom and gloom” she said, “I want to be dependable for a funny column.”She loves celebrities, and wants to write articles on personal issues like the Rihanna and Chris Brown scandal. She feels there is nothing better than a good love story with a happy ending.

Rachel is currently majoring in English. However, her passion is for journalism, so she is hoping to transfer to The University of Alabama’s journalism program next year. Her biggest challenge is talking to strangers.  Interviewing people isn’t her strongest skill yet, but she has a secret weapon, Madonna. Rachel loves all music, but Madonna fuels her soul. Life has been hard for Rachel; growing up she was often picked on and bullied. “She helps me through the hard times;” Rachel shares, “her music empowers me, and makes me feel strong. It's like she's talking straight to me.” A bit insecure, Rachel admits that she is still discovering who she is, “I’m trying to get comfortable with who I am, and not worry about what other people think about me.” On bad days she cranks up some Madonna and releases all the troubles of her day.

Being away from her home in Prince Georges County isn’t easy for her. Rachel said “College has helped me grow up.” She has learned to wash her own clothes, make her food, manage her money, and get to class on time. One of four sisters, she was accustomed to mom and dad doing everything, but she answered her wake-up call her first semester. “My first semester I really surprised myself;” she exclaimed, “I held a 3.2 GPA!” She has a five year plan. Her goal is to, by the time she is 24 years old, have an apartment in New York City and be working for a paper or magazine like entertainment weekly. She sees herself in a different place then, more comfortable in her skin and with a better understanding of herself.

No comments: